Friday, January 9, 2009

Mental Health Day

I took one yesterday.

It was supposed to be 60, sunny and most importantly --- NO WIND. I mean what good is it when it's temperate with 75mph winds? You still can't really DO anything outside. And this weekend is supposed to be wind, wind and more wind.

I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. I worked the big, red, chicken. He was extremely naughty. Shrug. He's young - he'll figure it out one day. ( I hope.) I tacked him up and put him on the longe line. Explode, explode, explode. Bucking and striking and kicking... good grief. Think it was a big "F-YOU! I'll do what I want when I want and not when YOU tell me to!" sort of day.

He got to keep on working until he could walk, trot, canter when I asked vs. being a wild jungle animal. Poor, poor baby horse. Sucks to be you.

He certainly is athletic - I'll give him that! Wow. I watch him flailing all about at the end of this longe line - all his acrobatic maneuvers and I think, "Hmmm. Will I be able to stay on if he does that with me in the saddle?"

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. My trainer says what they do on the longe line and with a rider are often very different things. I don't know if I believe but I am keeping my fingers crossed.


I had a light ride on Sera. There was no tying up. Our vet is still flummoxed why it's happened twice in 2 months. We made some feed changes and I'm documenting everything - her feed, the times I ride her, the weather, what I had for dinner. Maybe a pattern will show up. Maybe the feed changes will work and it will never happen again? Again - guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Tonight is Cozzola's Pizza Night. I am drooling already just thinkin' bout it! And I bet we'll get to have a nice, big, fruit forward, spicy zinfandel to go with it....


No comments: