Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Let's all go to the STOCKSHOW! post I

I'm gonna try this in 2 posts. Think I have too many pictures for all y'all....


This is Sammy Semen... he was sorta big in the Ag department at CSU when I was in college. A lot of people had this in t-shirt form. I was wearing it once and I stopped in Boulder to fill up my tank... the guy at the gas station about went ape shit over my shirt and tried to get me to trade t-shirts with him... I probably would have but he was sorta dirty and stinky and lord knows where HIS shirt had been!

Furry Husband bought a hat from Universal Semen Sales with Sammy Semen this year. There are a lot of semen companies actually at stockshow. You can get catalogs full o' great looking bulls... order up some frozen semen and artificially inseminate your cows. It's big bid'ness.

I almost learned how to inseminate cows in a class and I was gonna contract myself out to ranchers... but somehow I never did. I guess the whole arm up a cow's ass never really ended up being something I wanted to do over and over and over.
Sorry for the fuzzy pix... my camera was on some funky setting... Lots of buyin', sellin', tradin' o' bulls and cows.


Bath time! This is what I was doing with my dairy heifer when she tried to kick my head clean off back when I was in school. Only I was stooopidly scrubbing her back legs with my head right down there within' kickin' range.

Lots and lots o' cows... they were being clipped and bathed and trimmed and fluffed and blow-dried getting ready for the show ring.

A tired Boer buck. Boer goats are meat goats...these goats are STOUT! Many people will cross Boers with dairy goats cuz the dairy goats have a bigger, taller frame. I guess you get more meat that way, but because the Boer goats are so much beefier, there can be problems getting them to fit through a dairy goat's pelvic opening... the dairy breeds just aren't wide or big enough to get that big ol' Boer head through.


Sorry - 'nother fuzzy pix but some of these bulls were just HUGE!

3 little pigs...


No comments: