Tuesday, January 6, 2009

38 and going to my first 4H meeting

I wish I was 8 and not 38.

I was a Bluebird for a little while when I was a kid... I vagely remember going to camp and singing a song about "Magdalena-hagdelena-ooka-taka-walka-talka-oka-mocha-polka was her name, some name!". No one else has EVER heard of this song and yet I can still belt it out any time the whim strikes me.

(Poor, poor Furry Husband. Glad I'M not married to ME and he is!)

What in the hell is a Bluebird anyway?!? The cool girls were in Girl Scouts.

Anyway - while researching dairy goats, we went to some goat shows. This is where I learned about all the really great programs in 4H for children. They have all sorts of animal projects they can be involved with - from cats and dogs to horses, beef cattle and dairy goats. I would have been all over this when I was a kid. I don't think either of my parents were aware that anything like this existed because no one else in my family has this bizzare animal obesession like I do.

Anyway, I'm in a youth mentoring program and I'm mentoring/doing stuff with this 10 yr old animal lover named Kylee each week. I decided to sign us up for 4H and we can work on a dairy goat project together. Hopefully it will help us to bond and work on something together. She is awful quiet. Most times I wonder if she isn't feeling like she got stuck with the biggest dork the mentoring program could find.

Oh yeah. Well. She probably did actually...

Wish me luck tonight! My first 4H meeting. Isn't it exciting? Poor, poor Kylee!


No comments: