Friday, January 16, 2009

The 70's

Furry Husband and I watched Kansas City Bomber this week on Turner Classic Movie channel...


O.k. - this movie was HILARIOUS! There was little to no acting. It was all about K.C. Carr (Raquel Welch) and her roller derby career. She was traded to Kansas City and started dating the team manager. He turned out to be a jerk and traded off all her friends, was gonna make her big in Chicago but of course her kids would be in the way and she was a single mom ... Goodness, what is K.C. Carr to do?




The movie frequently showed close-ups of the fans. This was the best part. We couldn't stop laughing! I can't believe most people looked THAT bad in the 1970's.... the people the movie kept showing were either morphing into werewolves, mongoloid or 108 yrs old. When they showed the close-ups of the 108 yr old lady, she'd be yelling something only we could never make out what she said? It sounded like a melted or warped 8-track.


I don't remember. Was roller derby really THAT big? Did they have professional teams and they were traded? We've gone to a recent roller derby event and it really was pretty fun... I guess I just don't remember it being huge when I was growing up. ??


More importantly, was this truly a GOOD movie back in 1972? I can remember to a day when I would have thought that movie was great. I mean I thought Charlie's Angels was the shit back then... bought the bubble gum and collected the cards. Any make believe game you played, you wanted your name to be Kelly or Sabrina or Jill. I can see where a grade school kid would think roller derby and K.C. Carr were cool. I remember going to skating rinks and hanging out with my friends.


I wonder if any adults loved this movie? Was it meant to be a spoof - like Kingpin or Happy Gilmore? Somehow I don't think it was. I guess K.C. Carr's rival in the movie was nominated for a Golden Globe!


If you'd like a blast from the past and movie you really don't have to think about to "get"... and I mean you don't have to think AT ALL. Rent this. Oh, sniff... our ribs were sore from laughing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that this movie was a joke when it came out too. Not only hasn't it aged well, but it was always trash.
Poor Raquel, she never made a good movie.
Reviewing the past puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

You and Furry need to get some other occupations! HA HA

Shanster said...

Poor Raquel...

yeah with her killer figure....

(grin) poor, poor thing.