Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Fun movie...

I like old movies... black and white, the funny sayings in them like "that smells like five day old fish and I ain't buyin' it"

I like that they aren't in your face with sex and violence... shrug.

I like current movies too but there is just something comforting about a good old black and white now and again.

We watched The Egg and I last night. Released in the 1940's - it's about a city couple who move out to the country. First of all so much of it rang true for me since we are city kids on a hobby farm and didn't know nuthin' bout nuthin' when we moved either... the colorful people you meet in the country who are completely lovable yet wacky. The hard work needed to make your place home... the cluelessness... and it wasn't over the top slap stick either. It was SUCH a good movie.

I loved that the dog in the movie - Sport - is an English Setter...

There were some odd things in it because of the time. The wife leaves to move back in with her Mom in the city, she's pregnant and her husband doesn't know. She comes back to him 9 mos later... "oh wait here... I have a surprise for you!" and in comes baby. Weird. (whatever, it's 1940's - babies apparently appeared out of thin air back then)

And in the beginning there is reference to the husband having served in the war.... he says something like "You know what I thought about while I was held up in my fox hole with bombs and shelling all around me? Raising chickens!" Seriously? Chickens? He thought of chickens?Of course there is no PTSD talk or any other emotional issues with having seen the horrors of war. (the beauty of the 1940's again)

If you can look past those odd quirks - this is a really fun movie. If you have NetFlix, go out and put it on your list. (also listed as "No Time for Love" starring Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray)

Let me know what you thought of it... I just loved it. Laughed out loud several times and Furry Husband was entertained as well...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this movie too. But then I'm a huge fan of any 1930-1940 hokey movie.

Cheryl said...

I love old movies too! Anything with Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, etc. There's something so comforting about them. And the language is often just beautiful, the cadence and phrasing and so forth. Did they really talk like that back then, I wonder.

I've never seen this one but now I really want to.

Thank you, btw, for your advice the other day. I meant to tell you earlier (I thought I did!) but my mind has been in the clouds lately (scary med test - please let it come out alright!!!, career soul searching, that kind of thing). I think your summation of it was so right. And I am walking away. Think I did a long while ago because, despite a few days of mourning, things don't feel much different than before. But since we live in the same town I might have to contact her at least one more time so I don't have to worry about looking up one of these days in my favorite cafe to see her giving me the evil eye. Not going to think about it, though, for now.

Happy Wednesday!

:)

Shanster said...

Dedene - me too! I really enjoy them...

Cheryl - I LOVE those guys too. LOVE them! Harvey is one of my favorites...

Hey - take care of yourself. Be kind and gentle to yourself. You don't have to be mean to walk away... Do what you need to do and be true to yourself. Big hug to you.

Cheryl said...

Ugh...must admit I was ten/fifty percent tempted to be mean. But after thinking it over, and with Joe Beale's reminder on my post that depression is not rational, and after a super fun dance class last night, I find most of my anger and disappointment has dissipated. And with that gone the feeling of missing my old friend returns. Guess that's better than holding onto anger.