Monday, April 5, 2010

Finnish Proverb...


The quote of the day on the Information Week Newsletter is:


If you are short of trouble, get a goat.


Speaking of... Speck is due in 2 weeks. She has a little udder and teeny, tiny teats the size of your pinky finger. It makes my big man hands hurt just looking at them and thinking about milking her.

We shaved her backside this weekend. I shaved, Furry Husband stood on one side so she couldn't jump around. Clippers tickle! I clipped all the hair on her tail, down the backs of her legs and on her udder. One year, I didn't shave the does, thinking "oh, how messy could it be if I leave the hair?"

Plenty.

Plenty messy.

Eww.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Haha! I want a goat so, so badly! Too bad we live in the city!!! I had no idea you had to shave a goat for birthin'! You are lucky that FH is so helpful!

Shanster said...

You would love goats! I really enjoy mine, they are such fun critters.

Oh, you don't HAVE to shave them...sho' is messy if you don't tho! Afterbirth, blood, mucous...ew. Poor Speck - it's her first kidding. She has no idea what's coming....

FH IS very helpful! I'd be lost without him...

DebH said...

I was wondering when yours were due..I remember you posting about one of them needing to be rebred? I would love some help with the shaving..seems it got ahead of me this year. The girls all decided in one day to kid and frankly I had my hands full. My good friend came over a week ago and we wormed and trimmed EVERYONE! If it weren't for her I would still be trimming and worming. Two extra hands when dealing with a goat is the Secret! Anxious to see pics of your new babies too!! Good Luck Speck!

Shanster said...

Oh DebH - if I had as many as you do, I'd still be at home wondering what to do first! grin

I only have 2 does... and that seems plenty during kidding season. Our friends with 20 freshening does laugh at us. It's o.k. I don't mind be the butt of a good joke! (besides it frees us up to help them out when they need it so I think they are happy with the arrangement too)

This is the time of year I begin to obsess about everything that could go wrong birthin' ...

Cheryl said...

Hmm, maybe I should get a goat! Was just thinking how very quiet and boring my life has been getting lately. Just the kind of thing you think, btw, before things get interesting!

Shanster said...

Cheryl - the calm before the storm? I hope something fun and exciting happens!