Monday, November 2, 2009

Unseeing and grumpy mares....

Weekend turned out fine...

Visited Dad and he is o.k.... The staff is great and he seems to connect well with two of the day staff and they touch him a lot - hand holding, back rubbing. I think touch is so important to us humans...

Sister is still in denial if you ask me... she says he's exactly the same since the last time she saw him. The entire time we were there she was putting together a puzzle from the activities shelf and not really looking at Dad. She kept chattering away like a magpie about anything and everything. Weird.

Even when they moved him with this hydraulic lift thing from his wheelchair into his armchair... she was "busy" looking at old photo albums searching for a picture she wanted. She didn't watch or look up once.

I thought to myself, "Really? He is exactly the same? You took him to Applebees and he ate lunch and he was like this? You used the hydraulic lift and 2 staff people to get him into the booth at the restaurant?"

It is really odd to witness the refusal to see. We all cope differently and that is fine... I worry when he dies what will happen? Suppose we'll cross that bridge when it gets here. I'm steeling myself for weirdness....

Rest of the weekend was fine - Saturday night we went to dinner with friends and watched all 'dem crazy college kids in their costumes.

I feel so old.

Sunday I rode Sera in my lesson - oy, she was grum-PY! Any time I asked her for anything, the ears laid flat and her tail would swish. I can't blame her - she hasn't been worked regularly due to weather, the weather has been bitter cold and then warm with lots of mud. It was quite warm Sunday and with her full winter coat, I'm sure she was hot and not feeling like work.

We rode some walk exercises and when she was concentrating on me, her work and submitting vs. kicking, sucking back or pinning her ears we turned it up a notch... she relaxed, tried hard and we ended on a good note with those nice floppy ears - half pass, extensions, beginning pirouette work and a couple flying changes which are new to us.

Right now she's using the changes against me, as in any time she doesn't want to do something she pins her ears and puts in a big leaping flying change flinging her hind end back and forth... it's very ugly and she's doing it to be naughty, not because I asked because I didn't. She's having a tantrum. Tho' I think once she really "gets" them she'll have fun with them and enjoy them.

She is so good and yet sometimes her personality gets in the way! You can't fight her, you have to finesse her.... she always gives it up and gets to work in the end. I really do love my big, red, funny mare!



3 comments:

Heather said...

Have fun with the flying changes!!!! I LOVE them!!! Mares can be mares. Sometimes they just need to be grumpy. I think we can all relate to that :)

DebH said...

OK hon..now does this sister read your blog? Cuzz she should...and she would get a better glimpse into who you are and really enjoy the sister/friend you would be for her. I sadly have 1 sister of the four of them, that is the same outerspace alien such as yours. With mine it's like she's in her own little universe and everything revolves around her teeny little world. Pretty weird as my other sisters who get it...are the funnest and the coolest with stuff. They get it!! I think my sister gets weirder when my Dad or Mom speak good of us around her. She is extremely jealous of how close we are but doesnt find the energy to fix it. Like I said..different planet that one. You're well adjusted or maladjusted just enough to cope with whatever comes at you though, you can handle it all. Too sad for her she doesn't have a clue.
Also sounds like your cranky girl got a workout on a PMS day. The workout most likely did her good, she just didn't realize it soon enough.

Shanster said...

Heather - She's my first mare and I think I'm lucky cuz I never know when she's in heat. She doesn't get like raging mad and kick or squeal and pee down her legs or anything. I was gonna say she usually isn't pissy but then when I think about it...maybe she is!? How funny - I'm in denial about her mare-ness. :)

DebH - Nope I don't think so! She knows I have one but has never asked about it or wanted to read it. I do think we are missing out on the sister/friendship bond we could have... tho' you never really know whats in the future. (I'm not holding my breath but I'm not closed to possibility either). You totally get it! :)