Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Christopher Walken

Kay. I use a flattening iron on my naturally curly hair. LOVE IT! Love having "straight" hair. I've been using the flattening iron since April I think.


I always wanted straight hair vs. the frizzy, unruly mass o' curl on my head. Think rats nest. Think lambs wool. Think Albert Einstein. Think big ol' nappy ass mess.




In high school my nick names included "lamb-y" or "spore head". They were affectionate and I made fun of myself just as much as anyone else so it's not like I hid at home rocking back and forth in a corner crying about being a "spore head".


I think ya'll know what kind of hair products were available for curly hair when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's ... nada, zip, zilch. If you had naturally curly hair, you were pretty much totally screwed in the hair department. There was "Dep" hair gel and "Aqua Net" hair spray. No such thing as flattening irons. I would go to bed with a winter stocking hat - Rocky style - on my head trying to make it be flat.


And growing up with a single Dad? Good lord. He knew as much about little girls and their hair as I know about putting together the friggin Hubble Space Telescope. There were no tidy braids to contain it or to make it look nice and neat. No one to let me know my hair was o.k. or to sorta help me fix it so I didn't leave the house looking like a friggin' cave girl.
Dad used to send me to grade school without even brushing my hair cuz it would get so gnarled up. I probably screamed bloody murder when he tried. He gave up and cut it all off - probably after a horrified teacher asked him about my hygeine. I had a little boy's haircut. I grew up with people telling my dad what nice looking boys he had.


Ummmm, yeah. He had 2 daughters. There are no boys in our immediate family.


And now we are in the 21st Century and there is hair product. There are flattening irons. I have a wonderful stylist to help me with my hair!


I got it cut today. I hadn't cut for 3 months and I was having a grand ol' time with my straightening iron. Enjoying my "straight" hair. Straightening, straightening and straightening some more!

Now it's winter. I'm wearing winter hats on those cold, windy, Colorado days. I took my hat off last weekend - granted, I'd been wearing the hat all day - and damned if my hair didn't look like Christopher Walken hair.

I called Furry Husband over. "Hey honey? I think my hair is like Christopher Walken..."



He looked at me, recognitions spreading over his face, "You DO have Christopher Walken hair!"


Figured that was the slap upside my head to get a clue and call SallyAnn for a cut. Furry Husband keeps asking me where Christopher Walken is.


Here ya go sweetie - now you can pull him up and see him aaaaaannnyy time you want....












1 comment:

Kelley said...

HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!!!! you need to cut and paste your picture into one of these. : )