Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Quick Update...

Spectacular! Spectacular! was a lot of fun - people get so creative and BRAVE with their costumes. There is a guy who always dresses in something skin tight and lycra... to me, that is both horrifying AND brave!

Everyone liked my hockey mom Sarah Palin outfit. Tho' I have to say I was less entertaining than normal. The sight and smell of any alchohol was turning my stomach. Sigh. I am NOT the partier I once was. Pictures coming - I don't have them at the moment...

Furry Husband and I drove to the hay field Sunday morning cuz the guy kept telling us we needed to check out the hay before buying. His brother, Jack, is the guy that told us about the hay and usually Jack's word is golden.

We know why he wanted us to come see first.

It had been in the field for a couple weeks and while I don't mind sun bleached on the outside...heavy with moisutre and mold on the inside is not good for our horses or dairy goats. Yeah, everyone keeps telling us to feed cow hay to our goats but seriously people, we DRINK what they make in their udders, and what they eat comes thru in the milk, so if it's all the same, we will keep feeding them high quality alfalfa.

We took a pass on that "deal" and told him his grandson could take it all. We called Chamber's Ranch, another great hay supplier in our area, and they have plenty o' hay so I guess we'll coordinate with with Mrs. Kravitz (the neighbor with binoculars) to use her flatbed and go pick us up some 250 bales o' hay.

Sunday Obama came to Ft. Collins. I thought that was way cool. We couldn't go see him because we had scheduled dinner with our favorite family, The Larsons, months ago. Their schedule is such that they can't cancel and come the next night - not with six children.

And wouldn't you know it, at 3pm, Rosie, our doe kid, decided she was in full blown standing heat. We can't breed her to our buck cuz he is her papa. The farm I am taking her for breeding, SouthFork Lamanchas, is in Lyons which is an hour away.

The Larson family was due between 3 - 4pm and we had food enough to feed 8+ people. No way could I load Rosie into my car and drive her for some bowwww chicka chicka bow bowwwww and the buck of her dreams.

I called MaryLou at SouthFork and we decided to mark it on the calendar and bring Rosie up 3 weeks from Sunday. At least goats are reliable that way - you know if you miss a heat cycle, it will happen again in 3 weeks.

The Larson's arrived and we had great fun catching up and talking goats. They truly are one of those families that make you feel good just for knowing them. Each member of their family is an absolute gem to know - bright, funny, articulate and a good, good person.

I got to work early yesterday so I could hit the gym. Uh, yeah. Forgot my tennis shoes. I can't do anything on a treadmill in funky, clunky, retro gramma shoe oxfords with 2" heels.

BUT that meant I got to leave work early and it was a gorgeous Colorado day... 70's and blue skies. I got home in time to work both my horses... Rosso (the horse pictured above) was pretty hot but settled in and worked well. The pix above is when I first brought him home 2 yrs ago from the racetrack. He's learning it's not all about speed and blowing up. His new job is quite the opposite actually - I gots no use for all that speed and heat - in fact it sorta freaks me out in my little pea brain. Sera was perfect - tho' I didn't ask much of her cuz light was fading and I got all absorbed in picking at the skin fungus on her leg much to her dismay.

I forgot my shoes again today. Lucky me. Furry Husband grabbed them on his way out the door and will meet me at the gym, shoes in toe - er, I mean tow.





No comments: