Friday, October 17, 2008

Commitment...

I went to the Partners Mentoring Youth meeting Wed. night. THREE hours long. Oh man, it is hard for me to sit still after a full day at work sitting behind a desk. I was crawling out of my skin by the time it ended. Personally, I think they could shave the training down to two hours but for the most part it was good.

We went over insurance and liability - like children under 12 need to ride in the backseat of your car, wear seatbelts at all times and there was a list of activities that were frowned upon. Things like rock climbing, roller blading, white water rafting and horse back riding.

I'm pretty into self-preservation and don't participate in most activities where I might sustain an injury. Well, other than the riding I do but I know my horses aren't so child friendly. They are a bit too opinionated and young for any children to be crawling up on them.

I thought the best part of the training was when we each received a piece of paper with a situation/problem common to the program. We read the situation aloud and discussed how we would handle it. Things like the child wants you to spend more money than you budgeted for your outing, they aren't there when you go to pick them up, they don't return your calls - stuff like that.

Now that I've completed training, they'll call me in a week or so to match me up with a child.

The most important thing I took away is that I am only there to provide some consistency, fun and an opportunity for a child to get out and see different lifestyles/cultures for a short time each week vs. the difficult family situation they are in. I don't have to step in and save the world so that was kind of a relief for me. I'm still nervous about it.

My gym time with M (of Big M and Little M) was interesting. The women's locker room was bigger than our house. I could get lost just changing my clothes! M is very gung-ho and wants to meet every day during the work week... I'm a little skeptical that my motivation won't last that long???

Furry Husband was showing some interest and another girlfriend of mine, Karen, belongs to the same gym and goes religiously so I should have plenty of support to go.

M salsa dances and there is a work out class called Zumba (yes, the gym lists it in bold and italics). I guess it is a salsa dancing type o' work out.

M has rhythm and can move her hips. I do not and cannot.

I look like Elaine in Seinfeld dancing.

M wants me to come to Zumba with her. I'll go but I'm making her sign a waiver first... that she will still talk to me and be seen with me after witnessing my utter lack of coordination.

I'll take Furry Husband with me this weekend to discuss couple rates and hopefully sign up to sweat, move and lose my roll, which I've named, Sheila by the way. (Think Australia - kangaroos - joeys and the pouch I now have. ) Something so prominent should be named!

During my college years, I had a crazy roommate named Ellie. Ellie once named a zit on my chin Janet cuz it was so big and stayed there for so long.



No comments: