Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Butternut squash and shallot soup

Oh - and since Furry Husband and I are trying to live a healthier lifestyle than we did in our 20's... we have a subscription to Cooking Light and sometimes there are such good recipies in there. I feel I have to share this one.

We made this butternut squash and shallot soup last night - MMMMM!

4C of peeled and 1" cubes of butternut squash
4 large shallots washed and quartered
1 Tbl of olive oil
1/4 inch of ginger root peeled and in thin strips (we used jar ginger already peeled and ready to use)

Put all that on a baking sheet mix it up so the oil coats everything, sprinkle with salt and bake at 375 for 50 minutes.

Take it out, cool it down for 10 minutes.

Get out your blender, put 1.5 C of chicken broth and 1/2 of the squash and shallots you just baked and puree. Pour that into a pan on the stove top. Repeat with the other 1/2 of your baked squash and shallots with another 1.5 C of chicken broth... heat your pan up on the stove top to a temp you like... serve with some pepper and chives on top.

It was so tasty!!

I have NEVER EVER in my whole life ever had butternut squash until last night. When I went to the store I had to ASK someone which squash was a butternut. I saw some lady sort of smirking at my dilemma once someone pointed out which squash was a butternut.

They had a whole bin full of "seasonal squash". Dude. I know spaghetti squash and I'm reletively sure what an acorn squash looks like - an acorn right?? But if you've never cooked it or used it... how the heck are you supposed to know which one of the 65 varieties in the "seasonal squash" bin is a butternut anyway??


Sheesh!





No comments: