Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Strange phone call....

Last night I listened to voice mail at home. A woman had called looking for a doe kid, aged 6-8 mos, milk and alfalfa fed... to eat.



Furry Husband and I both raised our eyebrows a bit. Generally, dairy goat folks don't sell the females for eating since they are the milk and kid producers.



Furry Husband called the woman back. He told her we didn't have what she was looking for and she might want to contact a Boer goat facility - those are the stocky meat goats. We gave her the name of a local ranch we know raises Boers....


She said she'd eaten an intact male goat and it was awful. I don't doubt it! All that testosterone and stink? Eww.



She was looking for goat meat because she has some sort of digestive issue, and get this, her Dr. told her that she could only eat:

goat meat
Not so odd... I know goats are popular in Hispanic and Middle Eastern countries. I'd heard goat meat popularity is on the rise and we have some goat in our freezer....

buffalo meat


I do love a good buffalo burger...

Here is where it begins to get a little unusual....

turtle meat


I don't know this as fact, but isn't turtle a popular Asian dish?? I've heard of turtle soup.


And more unusual still....

zebra meat


Uh. Where exactly would you FIND zebra meat? I mean c'mon.... seriously? Zebra meat?


camel meat

oh man, my mouth is watering just LOOKING at that hump.... nom, nom, nom




llama meat
I personally don't have a big fondness for llamas, but that doesn't mean they look like good eatin' to me either....

She should really consider finding another Dr. in my humble opinion.


I bet she got our number from the nut milk lady....



4 comments:

Kelley said...

I was just about to ask... Where do these nuts come from, and how do they end up on your door step??? : ) when I read the last sentence. Yep, I'm guessing nut milk lady (or so I hope!).
How crazy is that?!?!?!?! You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!
By the way, how is eating the goat meat going? think you'll do it again?

Heather said...

HAHA!!! You are looking at this from the wrong perspective. This is really a great opportunity! You should find out who this "doctor" is and plant some business cards :)

Shanster said...

Kelley - I dunno - it's o.k... I'm not liking the taste of the ground meat so much. The other meat is fine but the cuts are odd and it's hard to get the meat from the bones. Furry took our latest wether kid to be processed but asked that it was quartered.

Clyde Canino from Canino's restaurant is going to cook it up for a big fancy schmancy wine luncheon for Furry and his cronies. I'll let you know how it goes...

Heather - Oh... yeah, mebbe I should huh? sly grin is slowly forming on my face....

Kelley said...

I could see goat meat being good crock pot meat. In El Paso it's always served slow roasted (BBQ, tacos, etc).

Bet it'll be GREAT when Clyde gets done with it. Do you get to be in on this feast? At the least he should bring you a plate home. : )