Friday, May 22, 2009

The little things get me so excited...

I'm going to plant my grass seed tonight!
I have tingles of excitement up and down my spine because there is possibility and hope that I, Shanster, in Waverly CO, could have native prairie grass! I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope... ad nauseum.


This is the blue grama seed when it is a bad soil loving, low growing, xeriscape grass best germinated from seed. I first saw a mass planting of it at the Denver Botanic Gardens when I was there taking notes about xeriscape plants. It was love at first sight.




Once it's established, I will sow in some native, xeriscape wildflower seeds to create something I hope looks like this!


Or this:



Oh do keep your fingers, eyes, toes, legs and arms crossed for me and the visions of native grasses and wild flowers dancing in my head....


It's supposed to be wet and rainy this weekend. I will plant seed tonight in an effort to take advantage of the natural moisture all weekend. The seed should germinate in 7-10 days and it can be re-seeded throughout the summer because it is a heat loving grass....

Please. PUH-LEEASE.... little, tiny, baby, bobble headed Jesus up in heaven, let me have my native grass yard so's I don't have to knock out a front tooth and learn to play the banjo while I stand in the dirt with cut off jean shorts tellin' people, "my you got a purty mouth... squeal like a pig..."

5 comments:

Kelley said...

: )
How are you going to get the mountains to move closer so you can get that last view over your yard??? : )

( I crack me up!! )

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Shanster said...

If it doesn't turn out, I'm gonna farm tumbleweeds and turn to the bottle.

*cough* I mean, even more than my normal turning to the bottle...

Cheryl said...

Snort, oops! I am drinking coffee and laughing, in a good way, at the latest in your garden quest.

Foxxy said...

I vote for turning to the bottle!

Shanster said...

Cheryl - don't worry - I'm laughing too!

Foxxy - *hic* whash that you shay? wha bottle? where? Ohhhh that empty one s'sats over dere?