Friday, November 28, 2008

Saddles

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! I know I did. ANY holiday centered around eating food is MY kind o' holiday.

The woman down the road does this fun thing on Thanksgiving and has done it since we've been here. At least 8 yrs? She goes on a Thanksgiving day walk at 9am. Everyone in the neighborhood is invited - people that used to live in the neighborhood are invited - friends of people in the neighborhood are invited .... you get the picture.

Some years there are one or two people who ride horses, one year there was a pygmy goat, another year someone brought alpacas and a llama.... and there are usually more dogs than people. One section of the walk is along a paved 2 lane road... anyone driving down the road during our walk looks really confused. "What is it?! Are they protesting? Is it a parade? Who are these people en masse with dogs?" Since we are in the country, around the block is 3 miles so it's a good way to start the day of feasting.

Today Jen from Happy Horse Tack Store in Ft. Collins came out to fit Sera for a "new" saddle. New to me anyway - I can't afford brand new - I'll get a used, consignment saddle.

Turns out the saddle I've been riding in doesn't fit Sera the best. I didn't really notice cuz Sera just goes, she isn't off, she isn't sore and my balance has been o.k. No one else noticed either. and then one day we did. Turns out it's a little bit wide for her... When I tried a different saddle... wow. BIG difference.

It makes sense.... it'd be like someone asking you to go on a hike with shoes that didn't fit you properly. You could do it, but you wouldn't do it as well as you COULD....

I put my saddle on consignment with Happy Horse - everyone keep your fingers crossed that it sells! At least I put it up for consignment before Christmas, so hopefully it will go. I brought home two saddles to "test drive". I have a homework list of saddles to go through. We'll see what works. Hopefully it will be one in my budget and near or less what the saddle I'm selling goes for.... sigh. Horses. Any money you might have? Kiss it goodbye!

Now I'm gonna git my butt up to Rex's to test drive saddles. It is 4:30, getting dark and there is a cold wind blowing in a storm... the sooner I go, the sooner I can come back to a hot shower, and a snuggly blanket on the couch.

I am thankful for many, many things in my life. Right now I am thankful for indoor arenas!!!

No comments: