Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Trailerin'

Daylight savings time equals more horse trailer time. It's too dark to ride at home by the time I get home from work. We don't have any outside lights near my little railroad tie arena and it is as "dark as a the inside of a black cow at night" most nights out in the country.

I or Furry Husband will hook up our truck to the horse trailer, we load Rosso, Sera or both and I drive 2 miles up the road to Rex's place. She is extremely kind and lets me come up any time to ride in her indoor. Her only rule is that I can't ride alone. Fine by me. I don't want to end up a grease spot in the sand with no one around either! I'm lucky that Furry Husband will come with and keep an eye on me if Rex isn't home.

I'll take Rosso up tonight. He needs trailer time. He really, really hates leaving home. He puts up a big ol' stink about getting in the trailer to leave home.

Sure sucks to be him!

Furry Husband has learned tons about helping me with the horses on the ground. He patiently gets out the longe whip and tap, tap, taps Rosso's reluctant ass. Forward, forward, forward the taps tell Rosso. Furry Husband stays out of range if Rosso decides to kick and he keeps it up until Rosso decides, "aw hell, I'll GO in the damn trailer already!"

I'm at the front end ready to lead him on up and tie him. Once he's in, he trailers fine. Once he's at Rex's place, he'll load back up just fine. Guess this is one of my winter goals for him along with spending time in the saddle. Get him loading well from home and take him places... will call up some other barns and see if we can't come over for a visit.

Should be interesting to see what he thinks of new places. He is sort of a "fragile flower".
It's interesting that he is such a huge chicken and yet, he bosses Sera all over the place.

Sera is very confident and opinionated bordering on bossy when I'm riding. I wouldn't expect she'd put up with him but she is definitely low man on the totem pole at home. Brandon, our 30 yr old Cushing's horse with arthritis and ringbone is still top dog. He just has to look at either of the red heads and they scurry to comply.

This is our old man - Brandon. I've had him since I was 16... he's taught me a hell of a lot. He is still teaching them red heads a thing or two!
Here are the red-heads. Sera, 8 yrs old is on the left, Rosso, 6 yrs old on the right. Can you tell they are related? They have the same Mama. And both too slow for the races.... somehow I'm thinkin' they like their new "job" much better.

K - it's getting dark out already... time for me to git home and have some fun with Rosso!





1 comment:

Kelley said...

Stupid Daylight Savings time... I hate it!!!