Friday, November 7, 2008

Under siege...

The last couple o' days we have been under siege... by the wind. We are 20 miles from the WY border - we get a lot of wind where we are.

Furry Husband is a weather nut. He got a weather station for Christmas last year so when we got up the first day of wind, he ran in to see the computer read out on the weather.

Yeah - 50+ mph gusts through the night. Nice.

I got home last night and the wind literally pushed me around on my way to the house. I am NO petite flower. I shook my head as I hunched down and forced my way forward to the house. It felt like I was living in a movie where there has been some sort of nuclear fall out and now the world was encompassed by wind, dust and tumbleweeds with only a few humans left to scrabble out a meager existence on the devastated Earth crust... The wind was literally shrieking and howling like some unseen, crazed, wild animal.

I never did get Rosso loaded up the other night. Figured that wasn't fair.

Today the wind was down to 12 mph. Tonight Rosso can head up the road in the trailer....

I was just happy that no one had any eye injuries! Last time we had wind like this, Sera endured an eye ulceration from debris flying around (debris as in pebble or hay stem not debris like broken glass or tin can) and before that in another crazy wind storm, I doctored Rosso's eye the same way for the same thing. This time the wind did NOT equal a vet bill and for that I am thankful.

I decided to milk the does once a day from here on out. I'd been thinking about it since production is decreasing.. The wind helped me make up my mind lickity split!

During wind storms, the goats hide in their quonset hut houses and stick their heads out to make sure we ARE coming to feed them. You can acutally hear their squallerin' over the shrieking wind if they think you are leaving before they get fed. I feel sorry for them and usually put hay inside their houses vs. in the feeder which is out in the wind.

I didn't fill bird feeders the last couple days. I just didn't want to be outside any longer than I had to be with all that wind. I filled them this morning and discovered that the squirrel chewed through the lid of the rubbermaid trashcan where I keep the black oil sunflower seeds! Guess he thought I shoulda been out there filling feeders and since I wasn't, he took matters into his own hands/teeth.

I don't usually mind the squirrel...

Lately he's been showing up with a buddy....

You can see the gnaw marks on the lid so I know it was him.

When I opened the trashcan, there was a big ol' pile of sunflower seed hulls. He musta hunkered down in there, out of the wind, with his little girlfriend and had a feast. Bastard!

Hmph....

At least he's not a skunk.



No comments: