Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Gimme some pie!

I make pies. I make my own crust and all that. I'm a little bit scared of my crust each time I make it - that it will turn out like nasty, thin cardboard but so far it hasn't.

I started making pies back in 2002. I heard this book review on NPR for "American Pie - slices of life (and pie) from America's back roads" by Pascale Le Draoulec. It sounded interesting. This woman drove from one coast to the other and chose her route based on wherever there was good pie. There are recipies included and I was bound and determined to try each and every pie.

That hasn't happened yet but I DID try "Doris Kemp's Accidental Apple-Blueberry Pie from Mammy's Cupboard in Natchez, Mississippi". It is INCREDIBLE!

No one thinks to pair up apples and blueberries - it is unusual. Most people I make it for have never had it nor have they ever heard of it and so far everyone has RAVED over this pie recipie. Since it's so close to Thanksgiving and I have MY "Doris Kemp accidental apple-blueberry pie" in the oven baking right now, I thought I'd share.

2 unbaked pie crusts

2 C of blueberries - preferably fresh but frozen works
3 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and sliced thin
1.5 C of sugar
1/2 C of flour
1 Tbl lemon juice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbl butter

Combine all ingredients but butter. Mix gently with a wooden spoon. Pour mixture into 9-inch pie pan lined with your basic pie crust. Cut butter over the filling, cover with top crust and crimp edges to seal. Cut slits in top for steam, bake at 375 for about 45 minutes. This time I brushed the crust with milk and sprinkled it with sugar...

I ran out of flour for my crust and used wheat flour for the last 1/4 amt of flour. I am nervous that the crust will taste bland and cardboard-y so I added some more sugar. When in doubt cover it in sugar - right? Well, at least we'll get a little fiber in with our Thanksgiving pie!

You will not be disappointed if you try this pie. Doris Kemp is a genius. A BIG thanks to Pascale Le Draoulec for putting it out there!

1 comment:

Kelley said...

Looking forward to trying this pie!! I'll send you my pumpkin pie recipe. : ) It's a good one.