Thursday, June 5, 2008

Word is gettin out

I had an order for lotions and potions last week from a woman in Denver who went to that store in Denver that wants to carry my product! That store doesn't even HAVE my product yet but they recommended me to this woman. That is pretty awesome!

I met with my friend, the graphic designer, to figure out a more professional look for my lotions. I ordered some sample cosmetic bags cuz we decided it'd be fun to put 3 different scents in one package and sell it that way. Think I will really focus more on lotion than anything because it's more cost effective, fun and easy for me and I know it's a really, really good product.

Besides, there are SO many soap makers out there and 99.9% of them make a MUCH prettier bar o' soap than I ever will. Don't get my wrong - I like my soap, it's good and cleans those dirty body parts while keeping them soft and smooth but it sure ain't purty. And I know me and I know I won't spend enough time learning how to make them purty. I'm too impatient and too crushed when they don't turn out right and they would never be "good enough".

I think by focusing on ONE thing and doing one thing well, I can always expand into other products at a later date. I read in a "Small Business for Smart Women" book from the library that it's good to keep your focus narrow.

And that is what I'm doing. Once I get the design back from my friend and she helps me pick out the type of label - glossy and waterproof - from a label making company and I can price things out, I'll develop a wholesale pricing sheet and begin sending samples to stores for retail sales. Start small... just like a case study from my MBA marketing class.... the case o' Boston Market and how they almost went under cuz they grew too fast. That certainly won't happen with me! ha ha - as if I could compare my little Star's Hollow goat milk lotion start-up with Boston Market Rotisserie Chicken...


Goats vs Chickens!
Smackdown 2008

No comments: