Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Startin' a bid'ness is hard!

Our weekend was SO busy. We were literally up from sunrise to dark and running full speed getting things done. I was asleep each night before my head hit the pillow. I had an order to get out for my products that I just couldn't squeeze in. We took last night "off" after work to tie up weekend loose ends and I got it done - delivered it this morning.

There is so much to do to get my little StarsHollow Farm business where I want it. I have the new logo design from my girlfriend - it is FABULOUS! I need to make a couple of edits to the copy that will go on the back of my lotion bottles and the ingredient list and then I'll need to transfer my new logo onto all my existing items - brochure, business cards, all the labeling... She is going to get me a price quote from a printing company and then we'll need to order and wait for the labels to come in. Once they're in, if they are correct, I will begin sending out samples to stores with a wholesale pricing sheet.

If I didn't have a full time job I'd be making a lot more progress - but I NEED my full time job. I am not comfortable weaning myself from the corporate teat so to speak. I have vacation, sick days, a steady income, retirement.... so yeah, not ready to give that up and throw myself completely into this new endeavor until I am confident it could fly and support me, pay my mortgage, feed me, feed the animals and support my bad horse habit.

I know there are things to be done for my business. I get home and there are OTHER things screaming to be done around our place - yard work, animal work, house work so the new business work falls to the back burner. It is always on my mind so I know it will get done one of these days...but the initial set-up to get StarsHollow Farm where I want it, is a lot of detail. Is that why people say "the devil is in the details"?

Once everything is set-up and good to go - it will be a bit easier. We'll have a system. We'll be able to make orders as they come in and with steady customers will get an idea of how much inventory to keep on hand. We'll be able to track growth and try to grow the business as we can. Right now it's all a little bit pieced are parted out in between my day job and the rest of the work it takes to keep our place clean and running and the ani-mules happy.

I made a sugar scrub last night with a new ginger scent - my customer LOVED it! It will be really fun once I am up and running. I'm excited about my new hip and cool scents vs. my first attempt at scents - they were all very "old lady" - gardenia, lilac, rose....

I dunno why my first instinct when I began to create these products was to go with the old lady scents.... oh... yeah.... maybe cuz I am also a cat lady and have 5 cats (down from 7 cuz 2 died of old, old, old age and I haven't replaced them - so I am trying!).... and cuz I feed the birds and like to watch them ....... I'm in practice for when I hit 80 I guess.

No comments: