Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A brush with fame....

I am a big dork. Anyone who knows me knows what a huge dork I am. And I know I'm a dork and I think as long as you know and sort of revel in your dork-dom, well, somehow it's o.k.

Our little dog will actually go out to the end of our driveway, get the paper and bring it back to us. If we don't have a paper, sometimes I'll make her steal the neighbor's paper - I read it - put it back in the blue protective bag and return it to the end of their driveway on my way to work. They don't walk to the end of the driveway until well after I'm gone so is it really so wrong to "borrow" their paper?

I haven't been caught yet.... and if I am, well I can blame it on the dog. "oh geez! I'm so sorry! She just can't tell WHICH paper is the right one to bring back! Bad dog! Bad, bad dog!" and then I go inside and pet my little dog and give her extra treats and a conspiratal wink cuz I'm sneaky that way. All girls catholic school taught me well, oh, yessss, so well.

Well the neighbors didn't get a paper either. Sigh. I had to go online for my favorite comic fix. Cul de Sac. It only recently started appearing in our paper and I really like it's quirkiness! Then cuz I had a little extra time, I found my favorite comic author's blog. I sent him an e-mail thanking him for the grin and the "honey, you gotta read Cul de Sac today!" over my coffee in the mornings to my sweet Furry Husband.

See? I told you I'm a dork.

I got to work today and he responded! I feel all big and important now! I can look my co-workers in the eye and feel just that much more superior cuz I got an e-mail back from a celebrity. HA HA!

I feel so vindicated! It wasn't like when I sent Steve Martin a fan letter back in the 70's and he replied. But when I ripped open the letter practically panting with excitement, that Steve Martin sent ME, Shannon, ME in Omaha, NE, a letter!

Well, my face fell when I realized it was obviously a form letter with a stamped signature and not personally to ME at all. I don't think I wrote another fan letter to anyone until I was an adult and could handle that sort of disappointment.

Even in my adult life, my favorite stand-up comedian, Bob Marley, never, ever, replied back from a fan e-mail. Even tho' I made t-shirts with his face on them and made Furry Husband wear one and sit in the front row with me when Bob Marley came to the Denver comedy club. Tho we did get a vague mention in his blog that I just KNOW was to me. So at least that was better than nothing.

I dunno. I guess I just get a little "enthusiastic" about the people that make me laugh? I know - people are busy and have lives and careers and there are all sorts of wierd, crazies out there these days that take any attention as a green light for camping out in front of a celebrity/artist/comedian's house claiming to be knocked up with that person's love child. I mean lookit what poor David Letterman went thru! I don't expect them to be my new best friend or anything but it is so COOL to get a real response from a real person and know they acknowledged you, one of the "little people".

Everyone check out today's Cul de Sac comic. I added it to the "Keepin' Me Happy" section of my blog... go on already.... open it and have a giggle!

No comments: