Monday, June 2, 2008

Lions, Tigers and Bears.... OH MY!

Our goat vet called yesterday. A client of hers lost a doe to a mountain lion. The Division of Wildlife was going to reimburse the people but they needed to know how much the doe was worth. Goat vet was calling some people asking them how much they sell their does for.

You'd think it'd be an easy question but it's not! So much goes into the selling price. Yes, you always hope to get a fair price and our animals are healthy and happy and the milk tastes good. Milk is going up to $5/gal in these parts so I know what I'd LIKE to get for my milking does. They are nice animals that come from nice lines and I know they'd do well in the show ring as well as in the milk room.

People don't always want to pay that. They can pick up milkers at the sale barn for cheaper... but those animals could be sick, have diseases, have behavior problems... you just don't know what you are getting. My goats have been given a clean bill of health and you get a copy of their negative test results, you can taste the milk, you can put them on the stanchion and milk them if you want, they are registered and come from nice show herds. You know you are getting a quality, healthy animal.

I start out with the price I'd like to get and then we negotiate... because at the same time, the goats HAVE to go. I can't afford to keep them. Selling them for less than I wanted, is still less of a money drain than keeping them and feeding them!

And if people want more than one goat, well heck, I'll work with them to give them a deal. And I've sold goats for cheap because I know they are going to a good home.

So when our goat vet asked... well I gave her both the price I begin with and the price I've sometimes gotten. It's just not an easy question! Tho' I did tell her if the people wanted a replacement Alpine doe, that I still have two for sale...

Always gotta work that goat sellin' angle!

No comments: