Sunday, March 9, 2008

Yes, we have no bananas

No goat babies yet.

We went to the Sierra Trading Outpost in Cheyenne WY yesterday. Bought some good shoes on sale with an extra 10% off cuz we spent over $100. I got these dress shoes, aren't they fun? We stopped to pick up our truck on the way home cuz it was having some work done and Centennial Auction was having a "junk sale". I think techinically it's a consignment auction, but everyone around here calls it a junk sale.

Since we spent bucks in Cheyenne and we have goats about to deliver, we did not go in to check out what they have. It's held outdoors and there are ROWS and ROWS and ROWS of junk. People also sell cars, boats, trailers, flatbeds, trucks, tractors, 4-wheelers and other moving machinery there - a lot of school buses were there this time. Furry Husband says it's cuz you can live in a bus. I remember times when we would spend the ENTIRE day at the junk sale and come home sunburnt and plum wore out. Seems like auctions of this nature (much bigger than Smelker's every Friday night in Wellington) are a huge social event. People go just to see who else is there. Lots and lots of old timey farmers and ranchers shootin' the shit everywhere you look. Dirty coveralls, those old mesh baseball hats, kerchiefs around necks, cowboy hats, dirty jeans, lots of farm dogs come with their owners too - border collies and blue heelers.... and now when we go, WE run into people we know and can shoot the shit sometimes too.
You can pick up lots of handy items at the junk sale. We bought our quonset hut goat house at the last one we went to. There are fence posts, fence panels, all sorts of livestock equipment, office furniture, kid's play houses, haying equipment - all kinds of things. Just make sure you know when to get out of the bidding. I've seen stuff sell for over the brand-new retail price because people can't stop the bidding war - you get sort of hooked and by god you are going to go home with that thing or you will die trying! I've learned to write down my absolute top price on my bid number and stop once it goes past that point. You know where they are in a row cuz the auctioneer has a microphone and a small speaker he carries with him (at Centennial anyway) and there is always a big crowd around the auctioneer where the other rows are empty 'cept for a few people browsing or sitting next to the items they are waiting for the auctioneer to get to. Auctions can be a total kick in the pants!

Had my lesson on my mare, Sera, today. She was good - we are signed up for a schooling show next weekend and I am really looking forward to it. We showed First Level Dressage in 2006 - yup that is us in the picture below - didn't do as well as I had hoped - not bad, just not as well as I wanted. I spent 2007 focused on going to clinics improving my riding.

We are now schooling pretty consistant Second Level with some Third Level work. I'll take Sera out for fun to a few schooling shows this spring. Might show a couple times at some approved shows this summer. The First Level work is so much easier for her now. I'm excited to see how she does - tho' my previous trainer, now retired, is judging so I know I'll be looked at much more critically. It will be fun to show under her and see how Sera does. My current trainer is going and most of her students are going - should be a really fun day. I hope the weather holds out!
Oh, and let's hear it for Daylight Savings! I have never been so tuned in to weather as I am now that we are in the country. I'll be able to ride after work cuz I'll have light, no more feeding in the dark, the days will get longer and longer and we will be able to spend more and more time outside! Spring is coming! Summer is coming! Happy Daylight Savings everyone!

No comments: