Friday, March 7, 2008

THE ELASTRATOR

Remember those cartoon bad guys? Skeletor?

Well we just recieved an ELASTRATOR in the mail along with some other goat related items. The elastrator is this tool that opens a very small, thick rubber band. You put the band over the kid's testicles and release, the band cuts off blood supply and the testicles and scrotum fall off in about 2 weeks. Pretty nifty eh?

The goats are shaved, bottles are ready, we have plenty of nipples for the bottles, we have our birthing kit ready and I've re-read the kidding and pregnancy chapters in my goat books. Chocolate Chaud is all loosey-goosey in her nether regions, muscles are softening and preparing to push babies through. Her udder is noticeably larger and she is ready to go any time now.

We are excited and at the same time a little nervous - you begin to remember stories people told you where things did not go well and you hope it all goes smoothly for you - well, more importantly for your does and kids!

It's been a hard week so I'm looking forward to the fun of baby goats.
Someone asked me about the "About Me" blurb I wrote for my blog. "You love your life for the most part? What part don't you love?" That'd have to be my Dad - he is very ill and has pretty high levels of dementia with a progressive disease called Parkinsons. Anyway, it's been a tough week with some things going on there. He needs to be moved to a full nursing facility and we will probably move him closer to CO. Any move for a dementia patient is hard - consistancy keeps them more "in our world". An upheaval in place, people, routine - well, it ain't gonna be pretty. Think I'm making headway finding a place but there isn't much of my normally freakish optimism to be found on that topic.

It is a good thing Furry Husband sells wine and can keep me well liquored on the particularly rough days. Who says self medication is wrong?
Now if you'll excushe me *hic* I think *urp* there ish a full bottle 'round here somewhere.....

No comments: