Thursday, October 27, 2011

Colorado Marrow Donor Program update....

About 2 mos ago, I was contacted by Colorado Marrow Donor Program as a potential match for someone needing a transplant.  I was to stop by the hospital lab for some additional blood draws for testing to determine the match and they'd let me know in 6-8 weeks. 

I received a letter this week that the extensive testing of my blood samples and the patient's blood for compatability indicate I could be a suitable match.  At this time, however, the patient isn't ready to proceed to transplantation and they may contact me in the future.  Thank-you for your willingness to consider donation to someone you've never met.

Interestingly enough, just after giving my blood for testing, I found out a woman I worked with many years ago had a bone marrow disease severe enough she needed a marrow donation.  (there are no coincidences, eh?) A mutual friend told me this woman's brother donated for her probably a year ago?  The transplant was in all accounts a success.  Yet, this woman died the beginning of this month.

It's pretty serious business - when someone is sick enough to need a marrow donation, it's not like donating marrow is a 100% cure-all, rainbows and happiness.  Yes, I would donate in a second if someone needed my marrow, however it's also sobering to know that they could still die.  It's the least I could offer for someone truly fighting for their life. 

Anyway - please keep whomever needed this donation in your thoughts... I'm sure he/she and their family are going through some major heartache and heavy decisions.  I wish them much love and peace.

If you are interested in becoming a donor, please visit the following site for information or registering to become a bone marrow donor:  National Marrow Donor Program

You might provide hope or an option to someone that has none.


WeldrBrat said...

How cool is that! Wonderful to hear of someone actually being called up for duty. I choose to roll with a positive flow on your behalf, Girlie! And you're right - no 100% cure-all. However, a far cry from none at all. And something just tells me... your efforts will bring about great results! Hang in there! And don't push it on any new jumps! ;P

DebH said...

You truly don't surprise me....I knew in my heart immediately that you were a gem!