Friday, April 18, 2008

Married? Yes, Married! Sheesh!


Remember 16 Candles when Jake goes to Samantha's house and she's at her sisters wedding? Long Duk Dong tells Jake she went to the church to get married?

I heard a story on NPR about the actor who played Long Duk Dong and how many Asian Americans hate him because everyone in their schools started calling them The Donger and how he was such a bad stereotype for Asian Americans. I dunno. I LOVE that movie but I don't and never have seen any other Asian American as even remotely like the character Long Duk Dong. I never made that connection with a real person.

Anyway, I digress.

I clean the barn for my trainer in exchange for lessons. I don't clean regularly but I'm the "fill in" so when one of her other working students can't clean, they call me and 99% of the time I'm able to do it.

Meg called last week and asked if I could clean the barn on the 26th of this month and I can't cuz I'm headed to Colorado Springs to visit a good friend of mine who moved there. I called Meg back to tell her I couldn't clean for her that day and we had the nicest little chat.

She is getting married and she is just so cute and lovable and excited. We talked about her dress and her invitations and where and the date and the food.
Her planning reminded me a lot of Furry Husband and I's wedding.

I never thought I'd get married. Seen too many bad ones. And anyone I knew that got married fell off the face of the earth and I never saw them again. I thought marriage was a death knell - that was it - your life was over. Besides, I was so independent and couldn't imagine relying on anyone other than myself and my friends.

Then I met my Schweetie Pateetie. He was bartending and I told him a very, nasty, dirty, dirty joke. I had short, Sharon Stone, platinum blonde hair, I was flashing cleavage all over the place and evidently caught his attention. He gave me his business card and wrote on the back of it "Free beer for life!". I still have it. Hmmmm, come to think of it, that's actually been true. Ever since I've known him, I've had my fill of liquor, wine, beer... oh, he knows the true way to my heart, keepin' me well lubricated.

Anyway, we dated for a year and we were engaged for a year and now we've been married for eight years. And guess what? It has NOT been the end of my life! We have so much fun together and it's nice to know he always has my back and I have his. People say marriage is hard but up to now, we haven't found that to be true.

Oh, we have grumpy days like everyone does or times where things aren't going the way we want them to in our lives but we've never had major problems with each other... sure he'd like me to close cupboard doors after I get something out of them and I'd like him to stop packratting every damn thing he finds... but those are little things in the big picture.

It sounds corny but he really has made me a better person and I love him with my whole heart.

I hope Meg finds the same love and happiness in her marriage that I've found in mine!

No comments: