Saturday, April 12, 2008

I just knew it!

Yes. I was right. Savannah was waiting until Furry Husband left town and the big spring storm moved in.

I got home Wednesday night and it had started raining (we were supposed to get 3-8" of snow). I started doing chores and noticed there was a string hanging from Savannah's vulva meaning she was gonna kid, but she was eating at the feeder so I figured I had a little bit o' time ... I kicked it into high gear...

I had thrown hay to the horses, given hay to the babies and the buck, fed the dogs, fed the bottle babies, filled the bird feeders, mixed up the beet pulp for the horses, had Chocolate on the milk stand and was almost done milking her when I heard the cry of babies.

Is that the cry of existing goat kids or FRESH babies??

Then I heard it again...?? Got Chocolate off the stand and back into the pen. Looked in the house that Savannah was going into and voila! Two fresh, new, damp babies. The string I thought I saw was not the mucous string indicating birth but the AFTERbirth... Savannah had popped the new little ones out..... and here I had been rushing around like a mad woman to get chores done to be there for her delivery! Teach me to look closer next time - sheesh!

There was a doe and a buck... nice looking babies, strong and healthy. I took them and put them in the baby nursery. (poor Savannah - "I left them here a minute ago?? what the heck??? can't leave them darn kids alone but a minute and they wander off!")

Finished milking the other 2 does, then got Savannah on the milk stand. Uh, her udder is seriously the size of a softball with teats that are so small...they are like 1/2 the size of your pinky finger. How the heck am I supposed to milk THAT????

Somehow I got 1.5 lbs o' colostrum out of her...heat treated it and bottle fed the new babies. Thankfully Savannah didn't wait til there was 8 inches of snow with 30 mph winds to have her babies... just cold and rain/sleet right at the beginning of the storm...

No comments: