Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I got NUTHIN'

I don't really have much going on right now. Recouping from red wine overdose in CA. Enjoying the cooler CO weather. I love fall - just love the crisp mornings and cool days make me feel so alive! Horses are growing in their furry winter coats... goats are decreasing in milk .... buck is stanky as all git out to bring the does into season. All is well with the world.

I went to Meg's wedding last weekend. It was very sweet and lovely. I was the Divine Ms. K's date since Furry Husband is beginning his "busy" season. Everyone asked where he was - I told them he was working cuz it's his busy season and they all look at me like I'm crazy.

Then I explain - October, November and December are BIG BIG wine selling months because in summer people want beer. I personally drink year 'round and don't have a "busy season" for my alcohol consumption. Most people however - in the heat o' summer - want a cold, refreshing brewski. You don't see wine vendors at a ball game... and if you go to a summer BBQ they don't usually have a cooler full of ice and sparkling wine... nope. Summer = beer. Once I explain it outloud everyone's lightbulbs go off and I get a resounding "ohhhhh!"








I chatted quite a bit with Karen, who is a horse vet and lives in the neighborhood. She is pregnant with the family's third child and due in November. They breed some Holsteiner horses and I guess her husband wants me to buy one of their fillies. He said, and I quote, "She goes to her happy place and needs someone who won't go with her."

Happy place? I guess this filly can get a little freaked out and as long as someone doesn't freak out along with her, she comes back to this world and is fine. They think that since I'm so quiet and non-reactive that I'd be the perfect owner!

OH what they don't know. I might look perfectly calm on the outside but on the inside I am a big chicken and I'm screamin' my damn fool head off - they just can't hear it cuz it's in my head. Guess I have many people fooled at my trainer's barn in this respect. I think that is funny and I laugh pretty hard...only no one can hear me cuz I'm laughing on the inside. Needless to say, with two perfectly sound and young riding horses of my own, I am certainly not in the market for another.

I talked with Ann and Steve and learned they got a new puppy - a little spaniel..I can't remember if it's a Brittany or a Springer. They are very, very excited and I can't wait to see her! I am ALL about puppies. I know most people go ga-ga over babies. Not me so much. Show me a puppy and watch out cuz I'll begin lactating all over the place. Oxytocin kicks right in. My girlfriend in AK just got her Border Collie puppy and I get to hear all about him too. I have a serious case of puppy envy.

Furry Husband and I have our NINE year wedding anniversary tomorrow. Wow - 9 years. I can hardly believe it. We are still having great fun together and we are looking forward to many more odd, hiliarious, bizzare adventures together....

October 4 I'm going to a "ride a test" clinic where I will ride my mare, Sera, in Second Level Test 1 and then we'll work on all our problems with the clinician. It will be my first try at Second Level. Sera isn't too happy 'bout it. She is quite content to stay a solid First Level horse and doesn't understand WHY exactly the work must get harder?? It is a clinic that is near by, mostly students from the trainer I ride with, there will be a potluck lunch and it will be a wonderful crisp fall day full of horses, friends and food.

No comments: