Saturday, May 14, 2011

Strawberry Avocado salsa

I tear out magazine pages of recipes, I put them in plastic sleeves and I keep them in a binder.  I have one binder for meals and one binder for desserts/baking.

Dork much?  Yes.

We try new things a lot with this method of recipe hunting I have.  Some of them are gross and earns that magazine page a trip to the trash.  Some are pretty good but the time, effort and dirty dish ratio to make them means we will rarely make it again. Other times things are really, surprisingly GOOD and EASY and have a pretty low dirty dish ratio when all is said and done!

This is one of those surprisingly good, never in a million years woulda thought to pair these 2 things together, so glad I tried this recipe and it's so easy sort of magazine pages.

Brought to you by Cooking Light - strawberry avocado salsa with cinnamon tortilla chips....

2tsp canola oil
6 (6 inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
2tsp sugar
1/2tsp cinnamon
1.5 cups chopped ripe avocado (about 2)
1cup chopped strawberries
2Tbl chopped cilantro
1tsp minced seeded jalapeno pepper
2tsp lime juice
pinch of salt

preheat over to 350

brush oil evenly over one side of each tortilla

combine sugar and cinnamon - sprinkle evenly over oil-coated side of tortillas. Cut each tortilla into 12 wedges (I used a pizza roller) arrange wedges into single layer on 2 baking sheets bake at 350 for 10 min or until crisp.

Combine avocado and remaining ingredients, stir gently to combine - serve with chips. Chips can be made in advance - cool completely and store in an airtight container until ready to serve.

So light, refreshing, unexpected.... the hint of cinnamon is a taste sensation with the salsa... the whole wheat tortilla chips ground the flavor with that nutty whole wheat tone.... this is definitely gonna be my "go-to" summer dish for any parties or potlucks.
 
A friend of mine thinks it sounds gross... not sure she'll make it even with all my crazy pleading for her to just try it!  If you end up making it, tell me what you thought.  Is it as big a hit in your house?  I'd love to know!

No comments: